2.0 Rules are currently in slow development. The Website, on the other hand will take longer — hopefully late summer.
I’m doing this mainly for two reasons:
- Availability of dice for laypeople (which is the minor reason): Most gamers use d6 in their games already.
- The disparity between high and low units is far too great and makes it difficult to balance units.
I feel the system rules themselves are robust enough, but I’m having difficulty with balancing out the units costs per numbers. It always seems that quantity is much more powerful than quantity and when I raise the formula price of high powered units, the price shoots too high.
If the d6 version works better in my tests there’s a good chance that the released version will be the d6 revision.
And yes, I know I’m late on the release. This is one of the big issues I’ve been having releasing with clear conscience.
Using a PHP script that I wrote last night (my only night off this week, sheesh) I was able to convert BBCode to TEX directly.
The resulting PDF isn’t bad (that doesn’t make it good).
This is a pretty big deal as I don’t have to mess with the already usable HTML views and I’m able to still edit the rules online quite easily.
I had to add a couple of custom Attributes to the BBCode tags (cmwidth to the [tr] and [td] tags) so that I could control the width of table columns, but it was pretty easy for the most part.
Once tech-week is done for Fiddler on the Roof at the theatre, I’ll have more nights to work on this.
After much of my precious spare time I’ve finally got a PDF draft of the new Open Wargaming System generated by LaTeX. There’s an enormous amount of massaging that’s required to make it clear and pretty, but the proof of concept works.
Here’s the primary reason I wanted to use this instead of simple HTML printing:
- Automatic Table of Contents Generation
- Automatic Indexing (when I get more than 1 index item listed)
- The ability to export to HTML and PDF
- The ability to automatically grab the Glossary and Special Abilities sections from the Open Wargaming Website (I did this by making a Makefile and created two ./tex/ sub pages to both the Glossary and Special Abilities sections)
- Allegedly (according to some sites) sending this TEX to a Professional Printer & Designer should be easy and fairly seamless, but I’m not sure how well this works in the real-world.
Here are the generated test files:
I know this seems as if it’s a step behind to some of you, but this is one step to having everything online and guaranteed open-source as is the heart of the Open Wargaming System.
Addendum: I’m not really impressed with the HTML conversion, but I don’t mind what’s going on with the PDF creation (most notably the Column Layout, which I’ve had a booger of a time trying to code in FPDF/PHP–plus this solution has good TOC’s and Indexes). It might be easier for me to create a simple HTML converter that integrates with the OWG’s search engine. There’s still lots to do–mainly cleaning up the errors and warnings when creating the PDF (which PDF is my primary concern). I MIGHT be able to convert BB Code to TEX, it should be a whole lot easier than writing a BBCode to PDF converter.
Ok just when I thought I couldn’t get any nerdier I’ve decided to learn how to create LaTeX documents mainly for the creation of OpenWargaming rules PDF’s (and the ability to exchange with a real document designer if I feel so inclined).
The format for LaTeX (prounced Lay-Tech–without the “s”) is pretty simple even more simple than HTML, but there are A LOT of layout options that concern me and seem overwhelming. Creating a PDF is very easy and I’m very impressed with the speed and quality of a basic layout (it’s primary purpose is to create Scientific & Mathematic correspondence). There is no GUI (at least not one I want to use), but I’ve never been a big user of GUI to get work done.